Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Shoulders- Part 2- Dishing

The Photos Pretty Much Speak for themselves, but i will give you a little color commentary along the way.


Everything i need to get started right here. The nice piece of sheet metal i recently cut, my largest teardrop mallet, Earplugs so i don't go deaf, and my Work gloves to lessen the vibration of the impact.


I centered the metal and started banging away!


I started by striking the metal once at a time in a circular motion around the center of the metal. You can see the small divots in the center. Those will smooth out as the metal gets closer to the bottom of the dishing stump.




Then i started a second circle around the edge of the first circle.




I repeated this process until i reached the outside edge, which by this point had become creased.


One quick run around the outside edge and the creases were gone! Beats ironing them out!






I took a few more laps around the metal, slowly "dishing" the cop deeper into the stump.


Eventually, it was nice and smooth!




In this picture you can still slightly see the creases, but those will will go away when i get to the next step...
PLANISHING!


DONE!
I think they look great! What do you think?

No comments: