Thursday, June 24, 2010

Arming my arms

A few weeks back, I traced the pattern for my arms which consists of a Vambrace, a couter (elbow cop) and Rerebrace connected together with a few Lames. I used Sinric's pattern from the Armour Archive. Although, I will have to make a few pattern adjustments for this to look like Dooms armour.

The first (and easiest) adjustment i made was to remove the "wing" from the couter. Doom instead has something called a Rondel. A rondel is a circular piece of metal used for protection, as part of a harness of plate armour, or attached to a helmet, breastplate, couter or on a gauntlet. I have circled his Rondels in the picture below:


The Photo below shows the pattern cut out of cardboard. The top right piece is the couter. Normally the top portion of the pattern would have a large wing or "fan" attached to it, but i removed that and just matched it to the other side. I will make a pattern for the Rondel and attach that later on.


My next major adjustment was to add another piece of metal to cover up my bicep. The pattern only has a rerebrace to cover up the back of my upper arm. All of the patterns i looked at never seemed to have anything covering this area so i hope that it is not a functionality issue. I just hate having such a large area exposed. The piece on the left in the photo below is my mock up. I will have to play around with it a little to make sure it fits comfortably.


Below is a photo of my first draft complete arm. Another thing i noticed as i put it on, was that the Vambrace was too long considering how large the Gauntlets are going to be. That will be the next adjustment i have to make. I have already marked off where i will need to cut it in black marker.




Not bad for a first draft and its great to see that it actually articulates! Thank you Sinric!


The Upper arm doesn't look too bad, but more on that later...

No comments: