Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Get WOOD for metalworking


I got my dishing stump! I went down to my City recycling center and they had a whole area full of whole FREE logs! You just have to be a resident. This one caught my eye because of its anvil shape and lack of ROT. I have been trying to dry it out for the past few days with a space heater, but then the bottom (the wettest part) started to crack! So i coated all of the exposed wood with Mineral Oil to prevent any further cracking. Its dry enough now, so i started to work on the dishing bowl last night. I am using a Drill with a large bit and a claw Hammer as highlighted in Eric Slyters "How to Make a Sinking (Dishing) Stump" tutorial. Its about 6" in diameter. I am going to drill progressively deeper holes from the outside ring until i reach the center, then remove any excess wood with the claw of the hammer. I will finish it by pounding down any jagged edges and then sand it smooth wherever necessary. As you can probably see, i have been hacking away at the center with the claw of the hammer to relieve stress (after the drill ran out of power).





No comments: