Friday, July 30, 2010

"It Looks Like a Scrap Yard in Here"

I am about 50% done cutting all of the pieces out the sheets of steel.


The newly cut steel has very sharp edges with little slivers of metal jutting from them called Burrs. 
I cant even begin to count the number of times i grabbed a lame palm first and got stabbed.
The next step will be do file down the edges so that they are smooth. Not only will this prevent 
them from cutting me but it will also prevent any further damage to my tools. 
(I did a number on the face of my largest teardrop mallet when i was shaping the shoulder cop)


The other issue i need to resolve lies in my cutting equipment. 
Because i did not have the 500 plus dollars it requires to purchase a B2 Beverly Shear, I am forced to cut the metal with my aviation snips. With a beverly shear there is a clear guide for the metal and much more power. 
With the snips the metal tends to get bent and misshaped, as seen in the photo above.
What i need to do now is to Planish the edges of the metal against the flat face of my Dishing stump.
Not only does this flatten out the steel, 
but it also lines up all of those nasty little burrs making them much easier to file off.

Next Stop on this Doomed Train to NYC ComicCon 2010, I will be playing with my new 6" Buffing wheel!

No comments: