Friday, September 17, 2010

Sabatons, the final fronteir

 These are the voyages...
sorry I got off track.
The Sabatons, or foot Armour, are the last things i need to cut out on a larger scale. I still have to cutout the mask, but that's a whole other story for another day. Turns out, when i bought the metal, one of the sheets was a thicker gauge steel then the rest. I happened to use this one for the sabatons. This is good because they require only a little dishing and they need a little more strength as they are just a series of thinner metal strips riveted together  with straps. This is bad because that makes it twice as hard to cut!

 
 So to solve this problem, i clamped the whole sheet to my vise. Instead of holding the metal with one hand, and the shears in the other, i can put all of my force into the shears. Believe me, doing it this way only made the process possible, NOT easier. 
I will never use Aviation shears to cut anything thicker than 18 gauge ever again!
 
 Almost Done!

 
 My blistered sore hands :(

Well at least the only thing i have left to cut is the 16 gauge Stainless steel, that should be easier right?
Right???

No comments: